Monday 1 December 2008

This Year

Wow - 2008 is almost over! The year has flown so quickly by, it's astonishing. I had a few plans of things I wanted to do during 2008. For the most part, these were professional ones - or at least my concrete plans were anyway. It's rather hard to make specific plans for the more vague life-improvement ones.

I spent quite a bit of time this year sorting my self out career-wise: completing my Chartered Engineer application (finally. What a tedious task!), finishing the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (which turned out to be a very comfortable way to move from academia to industry), getting involved in the IET. In that respect I feel pretty comfortable now - and I'm very happy in this job. The mix of academic and practical work, with a bit of project management and software development, it's enough variety to keep me entertained and enough substance to let me feel like I'm being challenged.

Since 2008 was my getting-my-career-going year, I think I need some more personal New Years Resolutions this year. Of course there is the wish to lose a few pounds - but I've become resigned to the fact that I have the terrible combination of loving food and being awfully lazy. So, I've chosen a few resolutions I might actually keep!

1. Get some hobbies. I mean this in the most social sense - my hobbies right now are limited to those I can do whilst sitting on my rear end in my own home.
2. Get new clothes. You wouldn't think this would be a 'resolution' I would have to make. I honestly detest shopping, it's not a pleasant experience for me, I want to get in there - purchase - and go home. Browsing and perusing are not strong points for me. This then leads to the same thing every day - me yelling 'I have no clothes!!' as I stare into my empty (disclaimer: this is probably imagined) wardrobe.
3. Get a routine. I am incredibly impulsive - I will do whatever takes my fancy, whenever I want. This has led to me getting less sleep than I need, starting things I don't finish....
Much like that sentence :)

Three is a good number. Biblical. Doable!

No comments: