Tuesday 12 February 2008

Not Socially Optimal




I'm sure I've put this lil comic on here before, but I do love it terribly. I think this may have been one of the first ones from xkcd.com that I read, but I've pretty much read every single one since. I would estimate about 30% of them go somewhat over my head (unfortunately my geekiness stops at the engineering side of programming), but for the most part I think its hilarity is pretty much univeral.
This week, I am in Newcastle on a training course. The topic: Optimisation. So far, it appears to be something I really genuinely love - I'd like to see if I can get some work in the area (particular optimisation for process control) to see how I go. It's got that just-right ratio of engineering:maths that keeps me interested. Each day this week is 11 hours of the course (lectures, labs) and this is absolutely solidly packed with material. It's been quite a while since I concentrated for this long to this extent (this stuff is pretty rigorously explored). I'd forgotten how much I loved university..
*little tear*


1 comment:

Blake Dale said...

lol, that comic made me laugh.

Optimisation... rocks.

seriously, do you ever get like a buzz when you've figured out the most efficient solution to a problem? I think that's why i like maths and programming so much (not that i'm any good at either, lol).

Enjoy the course Chief!