Wednesday 20 June 2007

Good Afternoon

...and welcome to the wonderful world of Od.

I've been keen to find new tv shows to watch, having recently viewed Series 1 and 2 (i.e. all) of Life on Mars. Surprisingly good, with a satisfying story arc, it's the best BBC sci-fi programme since the (new) Doctor Who series. It couldn't have lasted for more than 2 series, I think in fact it was struggling to fill those, but I'll miss it now. It was the first time in a long time that a series dealt with time-travel (ish) and a weekly-mystery without seeming too Quantum Leap or Time Cop about it. [Am I way too geeky for liking Time Cop - The Series? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118492/ The main character was far more likeable than the meaty VanDamme]

So, in an attempt to become as ridiculously addicted to another series I've rented/will rent:

1. Dead Like Me - a refreshingly funny take on the after-life. A world populated by (grim) 'Reapers' whose job it is to make the passage from this life to the next as painless as possible.

2. Weeds - I've missed out on this so far. Several friends have pointed this out as a very 'Od' series, so I'll give it a whirl.

3. South of Nowhere - crappy teen aftershowspecial-esque series about teenage lesbians. I'm currently watching it a) for the cuteness - nowt as adorable as lil lesbians finding themselves and b) for a particular cute character (who thankfully is a 22 yr old actor and makes me feel less guilty for admirin her)

4. Lost - I have to get back into this. It's ridiculously difficult to follow things on the actual tv (as opposed to dvd boxsets) when you lead a fairly busy life. So I'll be downloading/buying the recent series of this soon.

5. Doctor Who - I was an avid viewer of DW during the Rose years (my irishness restricted me from viewing any thing previous to that). Beginning this recently hectic schedule in my life has unfortunately meant I haven't followed the recent series and its new assistant. Note to self: buy old DW boxsets and educate self.

6. BSG 3: BSG series 1 and 2 were amazing (new series I mean), they have a special place in my heart. BSG 3 is on my to-do list (as is Starbuck, heh heh)

7. Charmed - oh i know, Spelling productions are ridiculously bad. But I appear to have a soft spot for them (as I recently discovered when I could name the other Spelling series that various bit actors in Charmed episodes were in. Why is that information in my head?) - currently watching Series 1 (again, many years later), will be buying each season as I can afford it.

So, it appears I'm slowly but surely building up a vast and scarily-nerdy DVD collection. Shall I sign over my soul now?

1 comment:

Blake Dale said...

It's been 8 months... have you finally got round to watch BSG season 3 yet??

Plus, you need to add 'Odyssey 5', 'Babylon 5' to your list of things to watch :D