Monday 14 May 2007

Ireland – Eurovision 2007 "archipelagic bicycles"

A superbly awful contribution, the Irish entry for the Eurovision this year. Together, the horrid combination of a dreadful-looking woman who couldn’t hold a note, a tacky twee wailing ‘Oirish’ melody and lyrics that sounded like something a 12 year old would write – these gave us the most embarrassing act we’ve ever put forward to the competition.


Surprised as I am that anyone managed to pip the United Kingdom to the losing post, I’m glad we came last – the whole Irish act just made my skin crawl with sheer shame. I honestly wish we’d stop sending people to the competition, so that I could be safe in the knowledge that I wouldn’t have to feel the mortification of a repeat of Saturday’s performance.

The shame for my country somewhat masked the utter horror that was the remainder of the contestants – perhaps I’m missing something, or perhaps it’s even a cultural difference. The winning entry, Serbia, was a bit odd. I’m not entirely sure what exactly people voted for, the entry was dull and forgetful – and the singer not pleasing to the eye, though she made up for this in pure commitment to the song, she sure was feeling it!

It may be that the Eurovision is no longer something that suits the Western European countries – I just didn’t ‘get’ it this year. It baffled me in the way that a lot of Eastern European friends baffle me – I think something is being lost in translation. A pity – as this was one thing I’ve really loved to watch, over the years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Archipelaaaaaagian icicles

diddly dee

:)

Odyssey said...

LMAO


stop...don't make me suffer even more..

Blake Dale said...

I thought that the Irish Entry was quite nice up till the point the singing started :-P

I honestly thought Finland would win this exercise in European broadcasting relations again this year..it was a really good catchy song that they had... "they was robbed."

Other songs i thought were good were the Romanian, French and Russian entries (yeah, i know they were cheesy, but, err, umm, [insert valid justification here]).

actually, think i'm going to be really lame download the entire album, lol)

Roll on Eurovision '08... :-)